Thursday, 21 October 2010

It's Half 3 on Thursday..

So, in the last 3 days since posting I have been somewhat less productive than I had planned, reading a little bit here and there, but not being altogether very sensible.

I can't even remember what I did on Tuesday (not a good sign), I suspect it was the read the 3 pages of Lewontin (1961) that have been read. I had the slight excuse that I did a) arrive late following phoning my Mam and Dad b) attend journal club at 5, and c) have a MODO meeting after that which prevented me staying later.

It was Sam's journal club this week, all about the evolutionary mechanisms behind squirrel masturbation. It was a pretty good way for me to spend my first meeting with others in the extended PhD family and I was able to follow it all!! Perhaps I got a little too comfortable, I've agreed to present on the 16th November.

Yesterday was spent in a similar manner as the day before, interrupted repeatedly by MODO related issues and the pressing demands of blogging. At 5 I went to see a lecture by Amotz Zahavi, here on a visit from Tel Aviv, which was interesting to say the least. Sam said the main reason to go would be to say I'd seen him talk, which considering his advanced age (late 70's) was probably not a bad idea. It was certainly an interesting way to spend an hour, despite the lack of slides or visual aids, he held attentions and spoke passionately about his beliefs in the handicap principal. I made notes, which I have put in the "useful" folder. I can follow him up to a point, but even he admits going looking for evidence to support his theory, which is clearly counterproductive to the scientific method. I was only able to stay for the first question, having to dash off to meet my Mam and Dad who are down for the film festival, but it was an interesting one. A developmental biologist asked how the theory that all signals are handicap signals could be applied to development. Zahavi appeared to become a bit unstuck, claiming that development was placed under traditional selection for efficiency, including it's signaling pathways, which seemed to contradict much of what he had previously said. But you never know, he may end up being right again!

Today I have finished Sam's female choice paper (accepting Appendix 2, my brain isn't quite that in gear). Some interesting ideas, not convinced by it all yet, but it's always nice to see a contrasting viewpoint on these things. Will reflect carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment