I have been running a little knitting, spinning, dyeing and various other crafty things blog for a while now over at michaelaknits.blogspot.com, and that shall continue to have all sorts of fun and exciting things on it.
This blog shall be reserved for the somewhat less exciting job of providing me with a journal/online space to store ideas and notes about my PhD. "The PhD" does not yet have a title, or a second supervisor, or even a coherent idea about what I'm supposed to be doing, but has been going since Thursday October 14th, 2010, so 4 days. I do hope these minor(!) issues will be resolved soon.
Today I have finished reading Sam's introduction, and have pulled out a couple of things I'd like to read. As I don't have his complete references, hopefully google will fill in the gaps.
Iwasa & Sasaki (1987) - The number of sexes
Hurst (1995) - The number of sexes
Bulmer & Parker (2002) - Anisogamy
Kruuk et al. (1999) - Condition/rank dependent sex ratios in red deer
Ridley (1978) - Male parental care
Gage & Barnard (1996) - Ejaculate plasticity
Chapman et al. (2003) - Choice to obtain benefits vs. choice to avoid costs
Sheldon (1994) - Phenotype-linked fertility hypothesis
Pizzari et al. (2004) - Phenotype-linked fertility hypothesis
Grafen (1990) - Maths model of handicap theory
Iwasa & Pomiankowski (1994) - Theory of multiple sexual ornaments
Turelli et al. (2001) - Modeling speciation
Kirkpatrick & Ravigne (2002) - Modeling speciation
Gavrilets (2003) - Modeling speciation
Panhuis et al. (2001) - Modeling speciation with sexual selection
Ritchie (2007) - Modeling speciation with sexual selection
Burger (2000) - Population genetics
Kirkpatrick (1996) - Models incorporating evolution into G-Matrix
Lande (1981) - Original quantitative genetic sexual selection
Iwasa et al. (1991) - Quantitative model of sexual selection
Mead & Arnold (2004) - Quantitative genetic model
Iwasa & Pomiankowski (1995) - Quantitative genetic model
Otto & Day (2007) - Quantitative genetic model (chapter 11)
Bost et al. (2001) - Quantitative trait loci distributions
Bell (2010) - Quantitative genetic model
Maynard Smith & Price (1973) - First evolutionary game theory
So that list is in fact vastly longer than I had anticipated. Still, it's hardly as if it all has to be read now! Which is perhaps not the best attitude.
I have also today been to the library, perused the collections, and come away with Birkhead and Moller's Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection, and Andersson's Sexual Selection, which is very boring of me. I had a look for some bedtime reading, found a book on leks which was so out of date it irritated me (this shocked me, normally I find such writing twee) and a book my a man who believed that the hypothesis of sexual selection was false because animals were too "friendly" (taking the concept of the pity shag a bit too far!). It's frustrating to be unable to find something easy to read that's not exceptionally political and/or moronic. This is probably why I knit so much......
No comments:
Post a Comment